Performance-Based Financing (PBF) is a system in healthcare that links payment mechanisms (i.e. “Financing”) to outcomes (i.e. “Performance”). PBF in Africa aims to help increase coverage and improve quality for maternal and child health services. In the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC), PBF began in 2012 and is on its way to cover the entire country. RTA was involved in providing survey management solutions to baseline surveys in 4 provinces of the DRC (Bandundu, Maniema, Equateur and Katanga), with a sample size of 6,000 households, 80 hospitals and 600 health centers. The baseline surveys for households and health facilities aimed to establish health indicators for future impact evaluation of PBF elements in the DRC.
RTA’s main tasks:
- Developed and deployed the rtSurvey system, as well as Field Assistant and Base Manager applications
- Designed and tested electronic forms (form structure, functionality, upload and download functions)
- Trained project staff on use of Smart Survey and Field Assistant
- Provided technical system support for interviewer manual, training, pilot test phase and during data collection
- Performed data cleaning support on a regular basis
- Delivered the final dataset to project leaders