Performance-Based Financing (PBF) is a system in healthcare that links payment mechanisms (i.e. “Financing”) to outcomes (i.e. “Performance”). PBF in Africa aims to help increase coverage and improve quality for maternal and child health services. Since PBF has not been implemented on any meaningful scale or systematically evaluated in Cameroon, the results from the impact evaluation are also expected to help design national PBF policy. RTA was involved in providing technical assistance and IT services for the deployment of an Advanced Survey Management System using Android tablets and ODK technology during the implementation of a health facility baseline survey of the extension of PBF to the northern regions of Cameroon, and implementation of the impact evaluation endline survey in the Northwest, Southwest and Eastern regions. The baseline and endline surveys for households and health facilities aimed to establish health indicators for future impact evaluation of PBF elements in Cameroon.
RTA’s main tasks:
- Developed and deployed the rtSurvey system, as well as Field Assistant and Base Manager applications
- Designed and tested electronic forms (form structure, functionality, upload and download functions)
- Trained project staff on use of rtSurvey and Field Assistant
- Provided technical system support for interviewer manual, training, pilot test phase and during data collection
- Performed data cleaning support on a regular basis
- Delivered the final dataset to project leaders